Boq's Braised Chicken with Mushrooms and Wild Rice
November 1, 2022
- Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs and drumsticks, about 3 lbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 16 oz Crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1/3 cup celery, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 8 oz water
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 3 springs fresh thyme
- All-purpose seasoning, like Cavendar's or TJ's Everything but the Leftovers
- 2 cups wild rice
- 2 tbsp Chicken bouillon - tested with roasted chicken base by Better than Bouillon
- Cook wild rice according to the package instructions. Add the bouillon to the water used to cook the rice for added flavor.
- Salt and pepper the chicken on both sides.
- Heat a dutch oven over med-high heat. Add olive oil. When it begins to ripple in the pan, add the chicken skin side down. Brown the skin, then remove from the pan and set aside (it will not be cooked through, don't worry).
- Once the chicken is browned, add the sliced mushrooms to the pan. Be careful not to crowd them. You may have to cook them in two batches. Then, add the onions, carrots, and celery and cook until translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the water to the pan, and then add the chicken back to the pan. Add the sprigs of thyme. Cover the pot and turn the heat to med-low. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Serve the chicken and sauce over the wild rice with a big glass of wine. You did it!